December 29 Prompt: Defining moment. Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year. (Author: Kathryn Fitzmaurice)
Really? Man, this is the generic pap we are getting for the last few days of this Reverb 10 project. How bland. And how broadly I could answer this question. I really prefer the tighter and more controlled questions that were scattered throughout the last month. But on a whole this project has been good, since it's forced me to write more frequently. Though I can't help but voice an opinion that most of the questions have bored me and were not particularly challenging. I'm committed to wrapping this sucker up, so I'm going with a list, since I am too complex a person to have one defining moment, or too indecisive, take your pick.
1. Wrote 126 blog posts, liked 50% of them, reached that 100th post milestone and didn't feel like quitting, so looks like you're stuck with me for awhile.
2. Shot some decent self portraits for four of the four 7 Days projects this year. And one with my hair getting shampooed, that was embarrassing and absolutely fun. The whole point, right?
3. Finished 1/2 of the classes I need for my UMKC Fundraising Certificate and signed up for the last couple to be completed by February. Oh, and had the pleasure of auditing my dad's Nonprofit Finance course.
4. One of my best friends had a baby girl, another good friend had twin baby girls, and still another great friend had her second daughter just this month, my nephews turned 1 and 3, and my other best friend's son turned 4! So many kids in our lives now, and it makes me giddy. And Christmas was particularly fun this year because Santa is back.
5. Crossed off 8 items on my Bravely Obey In Action List and made progress on a few others, also added 3 new items.
6. Volunteered with Literacy KC, until I got too frustrated by the constant lack of communication with my students and the constant rotation of students, four in less than four months. I've got my eyes open for another opportunity.
7. I read 47 books this year. I had hoped to reach 52, one a week, but doing the National Novel Writing Month in November cut in on my reading time. Totally worth it.
8. Speaking of NaNoWriMo, I wrote 50,047 words of my first novel in November. I keep putting off opening it up and starting the editing process. It's that bad. Makes me want to consider taking up heavy drinking, no wonder so many writer's have drinking problems. A large glass of very old Scotch sounds writerly. Maybe editing will be a good New Year's Resolution.
9. I attended a Writer's Weekend Conference in June, met some other writers, set up my own little home office and stared at a blank computer screen a lot.
10. Grew my first herb garden, and only killed the basil. The rosemary is actually still alive, repotted in the kitchen. I think I'll use it tonight on some roasted potatoes.
So what was the most decisive moment in your life this year? Or are you as indecisive as I am and unable to choose? I don't like narrowing it down. It's hard.