Friday, December 10, 2010

December 10: There Is No Try

Prompt: Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
(Author: Susannah Conway)

When I think of wisdom I think of Yoda. Small, green, wrinkled and constantly dropping the wisdom. 

"Do or do not, there is no try." 
“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” 
"Good relations with the Wookies, I have."

The awkwardness of his speech forces you to listen more closely to parse out what the hell he's talking about, and that's when you realize the depth of it. Except maybe that Wookie line. Now I sound like some kind of stoner who still sleeps on his Empire sheets from 1982. But Yoda is cute and has hair in his ears like your grandfather. And I guess I should thank George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan for writing those solid lines. After first thinking of Yoda and then thinking seriously of watching all three original Star Wars movies while laying prostrate on the couch all evening, I realized that I needed to think of what wise decision I've made this year. 

So I procrastinated and ran to the grocery store and bought Karo syrup and cream, and got a double batch of caramels cooking on the stove and watched half of About a Boy and desperately wished I could own Hugh Grant's flat, and wasted twenty minutes on Facebook watching Epic Rap Battles of History, filed my nails, changed into my new $5 Ramones T-shirt and pajama pants, and got the mail instead. Everything except writing this post. But when I got the mail, laying coyly on the stack of catalogs and bills was a lovely thank you note and sticker from my NaNoWriMo project last month. There was my answer.




My wisest decision this year was forcing myself to face my fears and write a novel. I'm not going to rag on how crappy my first draft is. It is. Joe printed it for me last weekend and it's sitting in my office waiting to be deconstructed, renovated and rehabilitated. But it's mine and I didn't just try, I did.


Runner up, wisest decision this year, taking the continuing education classes for my Fundraising Certificate. It's given me the confidence and knowledge to take my career to the next level and the additional expertise to help a lot of incredibly worthy nonprofits. It gets me all jazzed. Two more classes to go and I'm certified.


So what's been your wisest decision this year? Skipping that fifth cookie? New job? Get married? Tell us, tell us!

3 comments:

it's all relative said...

Congrats on the novel. And I think you need to give an honorable mention to buying those purple shoes too!

bethany actually said...

Hmmm. I might have to think about it over the course of an evening and watching half of About a Boy to really come up with a specific answer. Or watching episodes of Veronica Mars on Netflix, which is what I'm doing right now.

I think the wisest decision I probably made this year was to get a curriculum for homeschooling Annalie. I was kind of freaked out at the idea of an organized schedule but it's worked out even better than I expected it to.

Katrina said...

I don't know if this was a wise decision but the best decision I made this year was to accept my job. Best job I have EVER had!!