Monday, February 27, 2012

Cooking, Now With More Whipped Cream!

Now will you stop and look at those....golden brown, softly crunchy on the outside and tender melt in your mouth on the inside, decorated with butter, syrup, sweet ripe macerated strawberries and real whipped cream on top. Oh, sweet lord, this is what breakfast should be everyday.

Mrs. Schmidt's Waffles


Ok, everyday is unlikely and unhealthy and just beyond decadent, plus think of all the dishes, but weekends and special occasions call for waffles and bacon. They insist upon it. So for a belated Joe birthday last weekend I dusted off the waffle iron and went to town. And we have the best waffle recipe. I mean it. The best. Plus, thick cut bacon baked in the oven, until it's just crispy enough to break off and melt on your tongue like the porky salty answer you've been looking for. Did I mention I love the bacon. Anyway, you were asking, nay begging me, for the recipe. Oh, you weren't? Well, you will be.

For a very sweet wedding present, 10 years ago, Joe and I received this cute little waffle iron packaged along with a recipe for waffles from Joe's Aunt Nancy's mother-in-law, Mrs. Marilene Schmidt. We received a lot of wonderful gifts for our wedding, but this is one of our favorites. So much so that at least three times, we've copied her idea and given a waffle iron with the recipe as a wedding gift to our friends. It's just a classic. Mrs. Schmidt sadly passed away a couple of years ago, but her legacy of amazing waffles lives on and I'm here today to help spread the legacy. Because anything this delicious needs to be shared. This recipe is simple and only slightly more time consuming than making waffles from a mix. But you will be rewarded greatly for your time and attention to splitting egg yolk from white. I sometimes add cinnamon or vanilla to the batter, but it doesn't need it. Not at all. Why do I even do that? Silly me. So here it is. Top with whatever you like. I like popping one in the toaster the next day, with just a little butter so you can taste the flavor of the waffle without all that pesky ornamental syrup and whipped cream. But do what you like. You always do.




Mrs. Schmidt's Waffles

1 3/4 cups Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
3 teaspoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 Egg Yolks beaten
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 cups Milk
3 Egg Whites beaten stiff

Measure dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Blend. Combine beaten egg yolks and milk. Stir into dry ingredients. Add vegetable oil. Carefully fold in beaten stiff egg whites. Do not overmix. Pour approximately 1 cup of batter onto the preheated grid (which has been conditioned according to directions with your waffle iron.) Close and bake. Makes 4 waffles.

Do hope you enjoy. We were so happy to be able to attend your wedding. Love, Marilene Schmidt

Working on dinner and this glass of wine.


Oh, I cooked other stuff last week too. Healthier more reasonable things to balance out the whipped cream and bacon gluttony. I drank some wine and make a quick sauce for some Costco ravioli one night. Mostly for the wine, I mean, I had to open the bottle for the sauce and I had to try it first, right? They say you shouldn't cook with wine you wouldn't drink, so I hold steadfast to that rule. The sauce was good, the wine better.
Kielbasa Spinach Potato Skillet


And then I made this dish, Potato Kielbasa Spinach Skillet, which my friend Wendy posted on Pinterest a few weeks ago. And it was staggeringly good, even though I switched out the regular kielbasa for turkey kielbasa, much to Joe's chagrin. He even said it didn't make that big a difference. Plus a new way to eat spinach, mixed in with a spicy sweet sauce and meat and potatoes. Who wouldn't like spinach this way? The cable guy was here until very late the night I made this for dinner and I could tell by his face that he wanted some. It was too good to share with him though. Sorry, sir, thanks for taking 5 hours to install our cable, no kielbasa for you! I should mention that the best part of having the cable guy around for 5 hours, he was very nice by the way, was when he was out on our deck installing some new wiring and something must have gone wrong, because as Joe and I sat in the living room, we suddenly heard a string of fiery expletives rolling out of the cable guy's mouth, all wrapped in his slightly Southern Missouri accent. We froze for a minute waiting to see if the deck would catch on fire or if a huge hole had been drilled into the wall. But nothing happened. We struggled to not laugh out loud and then it just got really quiet. And three hours later he was done.

So that's what we've been cooking, what have you been up to in the kitchen?

No comments: