Tuesday, September 21, 2010

7 Days: Day 4 - Avoiding Arrest

7Days: 4 -Why hello, officer!



No, I didn't get arrested today. No, I didn't have to walk a straight line and touch my finger to my nose to prove my sobriety. And certainly, no, I'm not training to become an officer of the law. I'm not brave enough for that. But I did get to spend the afternoon at the regional police academy.

I love my job. There are more than 1.4 million nonprofit organizations in the United States and I have the pleasure of working with about 25 of them on an ongoing basis. Helping with fundraising, database management, and marketing, I get to work with a wide range of nonprofits. Everything from arts groups, youth development, education, historic preservation to law enforcement training. This afternoon was obviously law enforcement day, and what better place to take my 7 Days photo than at the academy?

There were some fantastic photo ops at the academy. Huge police shields in the lobby, right next to an enormous golden eagle statue, the beautiful stone facade of the building, all good options. But do you know how ridiculous it looks for an adult woman to be taking her photo next to a golden eagle statue? In the middle of the academy lobby with recruits and captains constantly walking through and the staring, my goodness, I felt guilty of something, but I'm not sure what. So I skedaddled out of the building, lingered briefly outside, where it was ridiculously windy and grabbed a couple of shots. Less staring outside, but I did hear one very young recruit, he looked 17, ask his instructor, "What the hell is she doing?" Trying to get the perfect shot, Officer Justin, just trying to get the perfect shot.

No comments: