Sunday, April 01, 2012

Just Gotta Be Selfish Sometimes


As a panelist for Blogher's Life Well Lived series, I've loved writing and reading the prompts and answers shared by experts and fellow bloggers on topics ranging from: how to get organized, top beauty must haves, to healthy lifestyles ideas (fewer cupcakes more veggies) and now, getting happy. I think I've got a pretty good handle on keeping myself happy, most of the time, but their expert advice is excellent, so take a minute and head over to read Getting Happy and share your best tips, and don't forget to sign up for their Life Well Lived sweepstakes and win some fabulous prizes that are certain to put a smile on your face!

This week's question is a great one that I foresee a lot more of a struggle with in my future, but right now, not so much:  


How do you put yourself first? How does taking time for yourself help make you happier?

Is it really selfish to put your needs first, now and then? Not everyday, not always. But if you don't keep yourself healthy, happy and feeling well-loved, most of the time, then how will you be any good for those around you? So I make sure to schedule weekly time with people I love, away from chores and duties and responsibilities. Time to do the things I love just for me: talking with friends, reading in the bathtub, cooking, the occasional shoe shopping, working out. I make a point, every day to do something for myself, even if it's small. These things are as important as a clean kitchen, or putting out the recycling or paying the bills, well almost as important as paying the bills.

A little me time


I know when we have a child, sometime in the next year or two, my time will not be my own, and the idea of putting myself first will seem like a distant luxury. But until then, I'm stocking up on long leisurely weekend mornings spent in bed reading and drinking coffee before tackling my to-do list, and drinks after work with friends, those elaborate dinners at home where we don't eat until 8pm. I'm taking time to do everything I want until I can't, until every minute, every bathroom visit done alone becomes precious, because I know how much change will come with a child.  I think I know, but I'm sure I have no idea. So until then I'm relishing my selfish ways. My happy, indulgent, but busy selfish ways.



No comments: