Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Older, Wiser, Happier, Luckier

I was driving home last night, stopped at a red light with my arm hanging out the window, when I heard someone yell, "Hey!" I looked around and idling next to me was an African American man with his front teeth hidden behind a large gold and diamond grill. "How long have you been married?" he asked. I looked confused for a minute, as he looked at my hand and then back at my face. Then I politely smiled, realizing that I had nearly smacked into this same guy while walking in to pick up our Happy Dragon takeout just five minutes before, I said, "Almost 9 years." He shook his head, laughed and said "Well, that's a damn shame. But, congratulations." The light changed, he smiled, flashing his shiny sparkly "teeth," waved and drove off, and I realized that 35 was going to be a pretty good year.

Party time, excellent

Orange Chai Spice Cupcakes


The photog


Mom

The Abell GrubesParty pitcher of mojitos

Joe and WSM


The Barnes


My mojito sweater and mojito buzz


My birthday was Sunday. I am now officially in my mid-thirties. 35 seemed a little intimidating at first. But the funny thing is I don't really feel a day over 25, some days barely 16. But I like my thirties more than any other decade. I am more confident than I ever have been in my life. I'm stable. I'm happy. I'm generally less selfish than I was in my twenties. I don't feel like I'm playing dress up in someone's clothes or grown up life. I feel less restricted by what other people think of me. I know who I am.  And I'm pretty sure I'm going to like 35.  And why shouldn't I?

The Margherios


Tasty burgers


Dad


Noshing

After a solid weekend of celebrating my birthday, including a dinner party with good friends and family, pedicures with a couple of my best girls, shoe shopping in which I indulged and bought the loveliest little beauties below, phone calls from friends and family, a Facebook wall full of warm birthday wishes, several relaxing hours spent baking spice cupcakes and a delightful number of birthday cards and presents, I am reminded once again how lucky I am. I sound like a sunny Pollyanna, but damn it I should be, I am a lucky person. So once again, thank you all for making my day, and helping make my 35th year my favorite so far. And though the gentleman with the diamond teeth isn't exactly my type, I'd like to thank him too.

Objects of lust

Toes

Photos, except that one with the lady feet, by guess who?

5 comments:

bethany actually said...

Hooray for pedicures with girlfriends! :-)

DanaCK said...

I think I just had a shoe-gasm.
Happy Birthday, girlfriend!

Erin said...

I am going to dig 35 too. Except that phrase "advanced maternal age" keeps rolling around in my head.

jastereo said...

@Dana - she did too!

Snowfairy said...

Sounds like you're surfing the Pollyanna moment, fantastic and brilliant looking celebrations.