Monday, May 03, 2010

Chewy, Melt in Your Mouth Success

And we have caramels!

Round 2 - Success

Round 2 - Success

Armed with my newly purchased candy thermometer, some cream of tartar, a better recipe, and multiple viewings of Alton Brown analyzing sugar bubbles, I made my first successful, delicious batch. They are dark, smooth, buttery, and with a touch of savory saltiness. (Secret ingredient: soy sauce)

Round 2 - Success


After chilling in the refrigerator over night, I cut off a small corner of caramel this morning. Joe and I each popped a tiny piece in our mouths and my face lit up as the mingled flavors came alive on my tongue. Success! Tonight I'll be twisting those little guys up in wax paper. You might be getting some in the mail if I know your address, dear reader. Checking #31 off the list! And other than being a great learning experience, it was fun too. As discussed with my dad and stepmother at lunch yesterday, since my learning style is an experiential style, otherwise known as screwing up on my own terms without seeking helpful advice first, I picked up a lot from this cooking project.  I might try making divinity next. Though if I wait until we have a low humidity day, which making divinity requires, it might be November before that happens. Just in time for the holidays.

Round 2 - Success


Round 2 - Success


Next up on my Bravely Obey in Action list, #15 - planning and cooking an elaborate Italian-American feast from Lidia's cookbook. I'm going all out on this one, people. I started reading the cookbook yesterday. I'm thinking at least 4 courses. I'm going to have my hands full. But her recipes are thorough, with lots of instruction and technique training. Plus, I'm pretty sure Joe will want in on this one. Now I've just got to pull together the guest list. Frankly, the best part of working the list is sharing the results with my favorite people. Since I kind of know the cook, I might be able to get you a table.

1 comment:

bethany actually said...

Yay! And *sigh* I wish we lived close enough to be invited to your feast. :-)