Thursday, May 08, 2008

I got about 80 pages into Middle Age: A Romance by Joyce Carol Oates and found it to be dull, odd, in no way a romance, and as boring as middle age seems to the majority. A pompous, judgemental and as usual, beautifully written book but I just didn't feel anything for the book besides boredom and disdain. About the privileged rich who live in suburban New York, Oates seemed to dislike all of her characters and most every aspect of their lives. When the most interesting character is killed off within the first 10 pages I'm not sure that I'm going to like a book. And in practicing my new belief that there are too many books in the world and not enough time to waste on bad books, I set this one aside last weekend and picked up Forever by Pete Hamill. What a difference! Fantastic story, strong characters, and I found myself crying a bit in the first 25 pages. I'll report back once I finish this one, and I almost can't wait to see what happens!

No comments: