Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I read The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander this weekend. Or I should say I read about 100 pages of The Kitchen Boy this weekend, put it down and picked up something else. Ever since I freed myself from the rule of having to finish every book I pick up I feel so free and guiltless, like fat free cookies! I didn't like The Kitchen Boy. It did not hold my attention and so I put it down. This story follows the last days of the Russian Tsar after the Bolshevik revolution and before the execution of the Tsar and his entire family. So those few stuffy months stuck in a house awaiting rescue or death fill the pages of The Kitchen Boy. And the book felt stuffy and doomed. So I didn't finish it. I have always found the story of the Russian Tsar and his family fascinating but I just couldn't get into this version of it. I think I would have preferred to read a solid non-fiction book about the Tsars rather than this fictionalized and dramatized account. So on to the next book, or "And now for something completely different!" - In honor of seeing Wicked (the musical) this weekend (and since I read Wicked last summer) Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (author of Wicked) and enough with the parentheses! ( )

No comments: