Monday, July 23, 2007

I haven't posted in awhile, with the job hunt and interviews in full control of my life right now I just haven't felt like posting book reviews. That doesn't mean I haven't been reading, cause I'm always reading, but I just haven't been able to put together a nice concise well written review. My brain is thinking about grant writing, data management and "what do you consider your biggest weakness, biggest strengths?" Last week I blew through two James Elroy essay collections, great mix of short story and magazine non fiction stories. Enjoyed them but I think I burned myself out on his style and topic choices for a bit. I need a break from LA and the unsolved murders of young damaged women. Then over the weekend I read 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Not a bad book, but not a great book. I get a little tired of her forced twist endings, always in the courtroom, always with the last minute self incriminating confessions. She is a very talented writer, but I think she falls back on some trite stereotypical characters, some convoluted plot points and too much pop culture referencing. The portions of the book that describe the school shooting are very compelling, and she does manage to create some characters that you care about but in general it wasn't my favorite book. It was missing something for me. Maybe I'm too much of a critic and unable to just sit back and shut off the editor in my brain, but there were too many cheesy descriptions and line choices that just stuck out for me.

Unlike Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows which I started last night. That book is perfection, so seamless, and apparently effortless in its writing, plotting and superb character development. I'll write more later for my avid readers, ok, reader.

No comments: