Monday, July 09, 2007

I flew through another book this weekend. I read The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunnant yesterday. Picked it up from the library, hoping it would be one of those fast, light, exciting, fluffy reads and it was exactly that. Set in Florence in the 1500's it follows the life of a wealthy textile merchant's precocious, intelligent tomboy artist daughter. Political intrigue, forbidden loves, fabulous art, clothes and side characters, just an entertaining trifle of a novel. The ending fell a bit flat for me and didn't seem to quite reflect the main character's previous actions but a delightful way to spend a couple of hours. It really makes me want to go to Florence again. It takes place in all the amazing spots we had a chance to visit, so I could really picture where the action was taking place. A beach read for my Midwestern deck! Now I'm ready for the gritty, noir storytelling of James Ellroy again.

No comments: