Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Book Nerd Alert!

Book nerd alert, nerd alert! The ultimate book obsessed, library fanatic opportunity just dropped in my lap: I got to participate in the inaugural Book Club over at BlogHer! BlogHer has partnered with Penguin Group USA to bring new and fabulous books to BlogHer Network bloggers to read, review and share with you, our devoted readers.


I had the pleasure of receiving a free galley copy of the book,  Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks, reading it in a quick three days, then turning around and reviewing it for publication over at the brand spanking new BlogHer Book Club page, and I get paid a bit just to read and review, even if I hate the book. Um, ok! So go read my review, they just posted it yesterday. (Hint hint- I loved it.)

The BlogHer Book Club will be active on a monthly basis and I hope to have the chance to do it again soon. It took me back to my college days, reading the classics, aggressive class discussions, underlining my favorite lines, sweating over writing papers, wrinkled brow analysis of story line and character development, plus it was just sheer fun. Go ahead and pre-order the book, totally worth it! Now, go read my review and comment if you like it, but only if you like it!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

That is so COOL!!! Congrats!!

AmyK said...

"Many historical authors make the mistake of creating these fiercely independent female protagonists that don't fit into the culture and religious norms of the time."

This relates to my biggest complaint of the Mistress of the Art of Death books. Adelia struggles so hard against the norms. It gets tedious reading about her railing against the system. Margaret Lawrence's Hannah Trevor trilogy seems to balance the line quite nicely.

Kassie said...

Totally agree on Adelia but I still like her, though the first one was the best by far. I'll have to try the Hannah Trevor series, thanks for the recommend!