Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oh, How I've Missed You

Oh, yeah, hi. I took a little blogging hiatus. Sorry about that. I forgot this happens. I get into a month of daily blogging and then I start to hate the sound of my own voice. It's too much every single day. But I like the big goal. I've written more this month than I have any other month all year, so there's that. What's a few days off anyway? I was out living a lovely weekend, celebrating with family and friends, debating gay marriage and The Daily Show, and I'm sure absence makes the heart grow fonder. Admit it, you were getting tired of me every day too, weren't you?


 

But I missed you, so I'm back. And that's not the only thing I've missed lately. Since all this healthy eating and exercise this year, I've hardly baked a thing. And I love baking. But I'm also powerless against the pull of homemade peanut butter cookies and muffins and cupcakes and Snickerdoodles and brownies. I love them. I don't want to make light and not particularly tasty versions. I'd rather just buy a delicious and appropriate serving size from a charming cozy shop and enjoy the hell out of that small indulgence. So I have not baked. It's easier to just avoid it and thereby avoid the intake of ridiculously tasty and massive portions of delectable treats. I mean it, I have very little willpower here.

 

But I baked on Sunday. I just wanted to. So I did. And I didn't gain a pound or eat two dozen cookies. I puttered around the kitchen, lined up my ingredients, pre-heated that oven, watched the season finale of the dumbest season yet of True Blood, and I baked up a storm. It was a blast. I found this recipe on Pinterest, which was originally inspired from a Smitten Kitchen recipe and Joe and I have had it for breakfast the last two mornings. Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf. It's moist, it's tangy yet sweet, it has a sticky perfect glaze on top. Oh, it's good. And I haven't devoured the whole thing yet, yet. I miss baking. I may need to find ways to add it back into my life and just give away most of what I make, so it's not sitting around the house calling my name. But I gotta go now, there's a slice of something in the kitchen and it needs my attention. Yummy.

 

No comments: